Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Student Impact

When I was 15 years old, I began helping lead a Wednesday night program for 3rd and 4th graders. That experience was the first in a series of opportunities that taught me the importance of serving others. Those first experiences showed me the value of giving to others and were highly influential in helping me to become the person I am. Every time our family ministry staff talks about what we want a student who graduates our ministry to look like, we talk about wanting to graduate students who understand the importance of personal ministry, and I think back to the opportunities I had to serve as a student. When a student graduates from our ministry, we want serving others to be a way of life for them.

At Watermarke, we encourage students to get involved in one of our ministry areas so that they can grow in their relationships with Jesus Christ by serving others. We use the term “Student Impact” to describe their service. On Sunday mornings, I see so many students carrying out their responsibility that it makes me truly appreciate the impact that our students have each week. Our students rock babies, check children into their classrooms, sing and dance for preschool and elementary children, lead small groups, help with production in the main service, greet people arriving for the main service, and help set up the environments (at 6 am).

Not only have our students served Watermarke, but they have had a global impact. Locally, they have helped sort and distribute clothing for M.U.S.T ministries, led summer camps to teach children about safety, volunteered at hospitals, distributed lunches to needy children, and helped clean up after storms. Internationally, students have participated in missions trips to Africa and Mexico where they taught/modeled Jesus’ love for children living in poverty. In fact, some of our students are in Africa right now, making a difference in our world.

In a culture where it is so easy to be consumed by our own cares, our students are following James’ instructions to the church: “Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.” As a family ministry, we want to celebrate these students, as they take steps in their relationships with Jesus Christ by serving others. ~ Wyndi Beck, Family Ministry Director

1 comment:

John Glisson said...

When I was a brand new Christian, I was given the chance to play guitar for the youth group. I was in my early twenties and the youth pastor and his wife sort took me under their wings. It made a huge difference in my faith and set me on a path of service early on. Keep those students plugged in!